Pages

Saturday, February 8, 2020

Week 3: Scripts, Hermanas, and Space Stuff



It has been a hectic week, but I am starting to get the hang of PHP. I have gone through the structure of the bat server line by line and retyped it, so I get how the mechanics work now. In the lab I met James who had a great idea for submitting data through a PDF form: Parse the file with a script and distribute the form data to the appropriate database entries. Using an Acrobat PDF with text forms will create a reusable form that can be filled out and emailed on any platform, without a public server! Brilliant! Along with James and David, I am exploring whats scripts are available on the web to get this done and how to properly insert them into web pages. With enough poking and prodding I will get it done!
Grabbing text from forms using PHP and HTML
Friday morning, STEAM Club participated in the Hermanas Conference. Hermanas is a program dedicated to introducing young women to STEM careers through interactive experiences. In the Fall, I had the opportunity to host an Arduino and circuits workshop, and had a great time showing kids something I am passionate about. This semester, I was able to join in on the Makey-Makey workshop, which was also an introduction to circuits! Makey-Makey kits let beginners hook up just about anything conductive (even fruits!) to a controller module, which works plug-and-play style for any computer with a USB connection. It's safe, educational, fun, and unleashes creativity!

Making Play-Doh controllers using Makey Makey kits

Around the lab this week, prep work is being done as we are still waiting on some materials. We discussed how to cut weight on the payload, which would leave room for more instruments or other improvements. Javier and Gen are making progress on their PCB designs, and the video stabilization team got the servos working with the accel/gyro/compass modules. Sorry for the lack of photos, but next week I will get some good ones!

A note for those who want to apply for ASCEND Fall 2020: I have been assigned to create some summer challenges that applicants can participate in to get a feel for the program and learn more about high-altitude ballooning. If you are interested, let me know!


Finally, I am writing this blog post a bit early since I will be absent all of next week. Through the NASA Community College Aerospace Scholars (NCAS) program, I have been invited to Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena to participate in an on-site engineering challenge! I will have the opportunity to visit with NASA employees, get to know them a bit, and even hand them my resume! No expectations, but it would be cool to land an internship! I am just grateful to be part of such a unique experience and create some great memories. This opportunity comes around twice a year, and applications will be opening up for the Fall session soon. I highly encourage anyone with an interest in space research (all aspects of STEM) to apply for this program. I will post more information on here as it comes out. If you are interested in the details I would love to speak with you!



Have a great week and I will see you all again soon! Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment