Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Week 2: PHP, VR, and ASCEND progress

I've had to begin learning PHP quickly to get up to speed with the bat project. Using Codecademy, I have been able to learn the basic syntax for the language and it feels very familiar to the other languages I have used. As I continue to work through the course, I believe I can get the hang of it within another week or so. In my spare time, I've been recreating the existing web page from scratch to understand how each instruction works and to become more familiar with the current design. David has been guiding me through the basics and has been very helpful. I haven't had an experience like this one before, where I had to jump into the middle of a long-standing project, but it prepares me for experiences in my career and gives me a better understanding of my job roles.

Learning PHP through Codecademy
As a side note, I have been learning to use Unity and work with augmented reality (AR) libraries. AR allows a user to view a scene through their mobile camera or VR headset, and have software project any image/3D model into the scene appearing as if it exists in reality. This has huge potential for immersive learning experiences and adding the third dimension to digital exhibitions. Most people are struck with amazement if they have never seen it before. I will post screenshots of my test program in action soon so stay tuned.

Tuesday I was able to spend some time teaching ASCEND team members how to solder. This skill is essential when working with circuits and microcontrollers. It can be a bit intimidating at first, but it's really just melting small bits of metal with a hot rod. With good practices the skill can build quickly.

Constantino soldering an Arduino module while I observe his technique

Our first conference call with Arizona Near Space Research (ANSR), the organizers behind the balloon launch, took place Wednesday evening. The call involved team leads from each participating college speaking with members of the organization to discuss plans for the semester. We discussed our goals, improvements from the previous build, and our expectations for size and weight. We also reported plans for radio communication, which PC is actually known for throughout the program. We are one of two colleges that utilize long distance radio tracking, and the only college that has a motorized tracking system! Thanks to Paul Ronquillo and the other former team leads, we are able to build upon their amazing work to keep PC ahead of the curve.

It was cool to see that the current team lead for Arizona State University (ASU) was a former Phoenix College (PC) ASCEND team member, who was taking over the position from another former PC team member! I hope to follow in their footsteps and serve the ASU team once I transfer.

During our main session on Friday, the team was in full gear for work. Our first wave of orders was sent out ahead of schedule, so now the waiting begins. In the mean time, the different teams are still able to plan out their strategies and develop other parts of the payload design.

The ASCEND team hard at work in the engineering lab


Our power distro and atmospheric profiling teams began working with EAGLE to design custom printed circuit boards (PCBs) used to connect electrical components. The mechanical team began working on the structural design by creating 3D models, the video streaming team worked on the radio tracking system, and the video stabilization team familiarized themselves with Arduino programming.
Constantino and Shanis design a payload prototype using 3D modeling software
Left: Protective housing  Right: Storage structure for internal components

I am so proud of the hard work the team has put in, and we are just getting started! Everyone gets along well and is willing to work with one another. I can't wait to see the final product!

Although this semester is turning out to be a lot of work, I am so happy with all of the experiences I get to take part in. Having the opportunity to contribute something to research projects is so cool, and I am putting in my best effort to make sure I'm doing my part.

Have a great week and see you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment