Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Week 7: Spring Break and She Se Puede

Spring Break hasn't been much of a break, but it has been full of great experiences. I was given a chance to work for She Se Puede teaching a circuits and an Arduino course.

Instructing students how to build a buzzer game circuit. Great for learning the breadboard.


Teaching is something I have considered pursuing. Nichole Spencer has been organizing a 3-day event for the Si Se Puede Foundation, that has a group called She Se Puede, which is specifically for young women in STEM. Through the experience, students will get exposed to engineering concepts and get a chance to work on Arduino projects.

The students had no prior experience, so my partners and I had to develop a curriculum that went from the very beginnings of  using electricity to developing Arduino programs. It taught me a lot about simplifying material, making it engaging enough for kids, and being prepared for unexpected situations.

Wiring an Arduino using the overhead document camera

Overall the course went well. Although there were some hiccups, we were able to quickly switch to projects that we had the time and supplies for. It is very rewarding to know that through foundations such as Si Se Puede and Hermanas, I've been given a chance to inspire the next generation of engineers, and hopefully get more women into STEM careers. In the future I hope I to have more opportunities to help young people get the drive that has inspired me to work in science!

No comments:

Post a Comment